Friday, November 24, 2017

It's that time again!


  It's finally here! We'll, ok, I know that winter doesn't technically start until December 21st, but I'm pretty sure that everyone automatically shifts from mode to winter mode the day after Thanksgiving. I just can't get into the Christmas decorating and shopping for presents mood when I'm thinking fall. So, for me today winter officially begins!

  I love how Christmas really goes through the entire month of December. First you decorate your home. Then there's always the church Sunday school Christmas party which is usually at the beginning of the month so everyone can come before they start getting busy. Then for me there's my birthday so PRESENTS!!!  Then there's the groups that go caroling about midway through the month. Then there's the Christmas cantata a Sunday or two before Christmas. Then traveling to see family and finally Christmas!

  This year we won't be able to decorate for Christmas because we'll only be home for a short time in December.  It's just not worth the hassle of pulling stuff out or buying decorations for a short time. So, to get some Christmas spirit in my house I decided to do the book a day thing. You wrap 24 Christmas books and the kids get to open one each night of December up through Christmas. I'm a little behind seeing as I've only got a few books and only a week to come up with the rest. But I'm looking to ebay and some Thrift stores to come through for me. I have faith it'll come together. ๐Ÿ˜  The hard part is finding Christmas books that aren't all about Santa Clause. I will never understand why parents want to give toy credits to a fat man in a red suit. You're also basically telling them that someone will be breaking into their house and stealing cookies every Christmas eve, but that we should like the fat cookie burglar. Don't hate me for going there, but it's the truth, people!

  We have quite a few Christmas traditions.  In our family we bake and decorate sugar cookies with the little kids... And some of the older ones ๐Ÿ˜‰.  We have appetizers and do a family game on Christmas eve. Then we have cinnamon rolls and the Christmas story on Christmas morning, followed by presents. My favorite tradition is that the guys all clean up after Christmas dinner since the ladies did all the cooking! Feel free to take that one home! So what are your Christmas traditions? And most importantly, do you get lost in  the hustle and bustle or do you take the time to slow down and enjoy what God has given you and remember what it's really all about?

 

6 comments:

  1. I’m working on a game for us to play Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, after we are, I had a game planned that all 20 of us could participate in. I had gone to the Dollar store and picked up a variety of 25 items.....some for females, but most, nongender......as in, boxed candy & such. (You usually have everyone bring a wrapped "white elephant" gag gift, but I didn't think that they would have the time).... we all sat around the living and dining rooms and I read a little story. Everytime I said left, the gifts went left, when I said right, they went right. Everyone had so much fun and went home with a little something. It's so much fun for me to see which adult screws it up and goes the wrong way... ..LOL. And having a few extras, if someone wasn't thrilled with what they got, they could exchange it for an unopened one left on the table.

      Delete
  2. I struggle with finding good, simple traditions to make Christmas really special but one tradition that I had growing up (and one the hubby pushes back on) is decorating for the Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving. He things that December 1 is the earliest you should decorate for Christmas. It’s only a week, but it’s a week of Christmas cheer that is sometimes lost. Anyway, the other tradition, since being saved, is to go to spend the holiday with a friend from church. This year, I have to come up with my own stuff because that particular friend is ditching me for China (๐Ÿ˜Š-I am super excited she and her family gets to go!!). So, this blog has given me some ideas/reminded me to think on these things as we zero in on December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely anti decorating or listening to Christmas music or watching the one million hallmark Christmas movies before Thanksgiving. However, the day after Thanksgiving, everything Christmas is fair game!

      Delete
  3. Wait,... Santa isn't real?!?!

    ReplyDelete