Monday, November 6, 2017

New Hampshire???!?!

  This week we were in a conference in New Hampshire.
It was our first time being here in New Hampshire. I was excited because were driving straight through Vermont, and if any of you grew up on White Christmas like I did, that is what you think of in Vermont. The phrase "Pine Tree. Coming into Pine Tree" kept going through my mind. I was very sad to find out, though, that there is no actual Pine Tree, Vermont. Finding that out was probably the same feeling a kid has when they find out there is no Santa Clause. (Not that we do Santa Clause, but you get what I mean, right?).

  Anyways, when I told my mom that we were in New Hampshire, she said that my brother wanted to know how close we were to Lake Winnipesaukkee. If you don't know what that is, you've never seen What About Bob, and therefore, you have been deprived so you should go find it on ebay after you finish reading this. We were only an hour and a half away from Lake Winnipesaukkee, but we did not get the chance to go visit. Another movie dream that I will not fulfill. Well, that wasn't really a dream, but we'll probably never be up this way again so kind of sad to be so close, but not actually there.

  So none of that really has anything to do with my post today, but it's late and I felt like rambling. Anyways, while at this conference we were with some friends of ours that we met almost two years ago. How they still like us we will never know. Why, you ask? Well here's the story.

 We met them in February of 2016 at a church in Tennessee. He was the main speaker for the missions conference. The friendship started, not because they liked us necessarily, but because we had this adorable little one year old girl who doesn't know a stranger. We sat at dinner with them one evening, and being outgoing as she is, our little girl gave the speaker her sad eyes when she saw the cookie that he had. It was one of those cookies with the hershey's kiss on top. He decided to share and gave her the hershey kiss and he ate the cookie. Then I believe he went and got another one so he could continue to share. Well, that was all it took, he had an instant friend. Before the week was out, he brought her an entire bag of hershey's kisses.

  Because she was so friendly, he ended up spending some more time with us and he not only booked us to come to his church, but also got us two more missions conference meetings. The next time we saw him was at one of those meetings. It was a shorter meeting but he didn't forget the bag of hershey kisses! You're probably thinking " I don't understand why they wouldn't like you". I know, right?!? Who wouldn't like us??  Well, just wait.

  The next time we saw him was at his church. We got there on a Saturday and they had us come to their house for dinner. It was a great dinner  followed by a gift of hershey's kisses and we fellowshipped, and laughed, and had a great time. Until... That precious little one year old decided that dinner wasn't going to sit too well with her. And it came back up... all over her, and the highchair, and the dinner table, and the floor. I sat there with mom brain, worried about my baby but also worried about the mess and I was holding my hands out as if to catch it all to save the highchair, and the table, and the floor. I didn't even really realize I was doing it until the pastor's wife chuckled and told me that I didn't really need to catch anything, it was a little late for that. So my hubby and the pastor's wife cleaned up the kitchen and I cleaned up the baby in the bath tub. That was fun.

   Well, that night ended decently and we headed back to the hotel. The next day after church we went back to their house for lunch and made it through without disaster... Until we left. It was raining cats and dogs that day, and we had a little Ford Fiesta stick shift. So we ran out to the car and instead of getting soaked while we tried to stand outside and buckle in the baby, we just got in the front seats and then my hubby put her in the back seat. While he was turned around buckling her in, he bumped the emergency break and the car started rolling forward. Right into the pastor's car. There was no damage. We didn't even roll far enough to gain any speed, but still. He was as white as a sheet as he walked in to tell the pastor, who with good humor joked about our support going out the window. Thankfully, there was no damage and he wasn't at all upset with us. They even still sent the kids a bag of hershey's kisses this last summer.

   It's now been a year and a half since being at their church, and here we are together again this week. We've been together since Thursday, and it went well with a bag of hershey's kisses for both of the kids and no incidents... until tonight. The last night, of course. We went out to dinner and as we're sitting there all enjoying our food, our little boy decided that his food wouldn't stay down. He threw up on himself. It wasn't too bad or horrible, but I don't think anyone was very hungry after that. I looked at the pastor and his wife and said "we just can't be anywhere with you guys, can we?".  Maybe it's all the hershey's kisses they've been eating since Thursday. 😏 Like I said, I don't understand why they still like us, but it might have something to do with a little now two year old girl who walks around going "Where's my friend Pastor Navis?". (Not actually his name, but it is to her). Something about that just keeps the hershey's kisses coming.. and the support I might add. 😁 

  Side note: Wednesday is our 100th post!!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸŽŠπŸŽ‰What would you like to see in our 100th post??
 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog!! If friends stick around after all that then they truly are friends for life! lol.. Wednesday blig ida is "100 things to DO and NOT DO in the ministry." Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this made me laugh and feel for you...lol I'm sure they were remembering a time or times in their ministry where everything went wrong. We all have had our moments. I love good friends. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. There’s something about deputation and kids puking!

    ReplyDelete