Monday, February 26, 2018

Then and Now

One of the unique aspects of our blog is the different personalities we bring to our posts. Kylee, Stephanie and I each have different perspectives and experiences that we bring along for the ride. For instance, both of them are in the earlier stages of motherhood, dealing with babies and toddlers. I have thankfully finished with that stage of my life and moved on.

While I no longer have to deal with diapers and waking up multiple times during the night, I have discovered that parenting teenagers and even young adults has its own set of challenges. For instance, I don't usually have to deal with someone falling as they learn to walk, or while climbing up on a chair.

Instead, I get phone calls from my college student and, in the midst of chatting about every day happenings, he casually drops in the information that he was stabbed in the head during a wrestling match.

I'm no longer teaching someone how to ride a bike or walk across the room. Now I watch helplessly as someone backs his father's truck up into a telephone pole.

I don't have someone waking me up during the middle of the night, but if my children go to bed before I do, I often get treated to the sound drifting down from their room of a snore that actually registers on the richter scale.

I don't get asked to fix a broken toy, but I do have a phone conversation interrupted by someone telling me that something fairly important "fell off" of their vehicle while they were driving.

No one calls me "Mama" thousands of times before breakfast, but I do get text bombed if I'm not answering the phone fast enough. Here is a sample of texting that I got just last week:

Why r u hanging up on me?

Hello?

Mom

Mom

Momma

Mommy

Mom

Mama

Mama

Mom

Mom

Mom

Me

Mom

Mama

Mama

Mommy

Mommy

YOU'RE GRANDDAUGHTER WANTS TO TALK TO YOU (incorrect punctuation was included)

I just told her Nana is either dead or doesn't want to talk to her.

She's crying

Her heart is broken

Now she is telling Remi that Nana doesn't love them

And he is crying

Oh wait, no he's not. he just said Papa. So that's all he cares about.

Did you seriously die?

Cuz I'll call the police if I have to

Should I?

Say red ball 1 bag is leaking if I need to call the police.

Or just don't say anything. If you don't answer I'll know to call them.

Ok they should be there any minute. i told them a murder was in progress.

Do you hear sirens yet?

Hmmm. Maybe I should have called Matt first.

Or anyone else to find out if you were alive.

Oh well. Too late now.

If you're just ignoring me to order pizza then we will have some serious words.

Because we haven't talked in a week and it'll be probably another week before we can.

Pizza is important but not that important

Your other children aren't that important either.

I'm so lucky to be out of the napping and pacifier stage, don't you think so?

6 comments:

  1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I wish I had someone to send that type of text to! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I'm going to be annoying I might as well go all out, incorrect punctuation and all. Btw, who backed up dad's truck? πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you shouldn't drive.... Although I won't tell you what I did to the van this week.. πŸ˜’

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you should ask your father in law what HE did to the Kia this week... Just sayin'

      Delete