Monday, November 19, 2018

Along Came Amelia (Part One)


In the beginning weeks of this pregnancy I had a feeling that something might be different this time around. I wasn't sure how or why yet, but I was thinking maybe it would be a boy this time or maybe the baby will be early. My previous pregnancies were pretty much textbook, quick appointments, no issues, no concerns. I say that not to sound proud, but to say I was blessed!

Little did I know that things were going to be different this time around in an entirely new way.

At 19 weeks, we found out we were having another little princess! ( Yes, we were excited!) 
At 27 weeks, I had my Glucose test and failed. 
At 28 weeks, I had to do a  3 hour fasting glucose test just to be sure, I failed again and I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at my very next appointment. 
At 32 weeks, I went in for a non stress test each week for baby girl. Also, started testing blood sugars 4 times a day!
At 34 weeks, I was put on insulin for the Diabetes. I also went from one non stress test a week to two! 

Due to being on Insulin my doctor told me that I should expect to deliver at 39 weeks.

After each appointment that I had it was "Just one more thing" that I had to deal with. The night before my 38 week appointment, I was in tears because it all became so overwhelming. I was uncomfortable and so ready to have our baby girl. The morning of my last appointment my doctor asked me just how ready I was, she asked if I wanted to be induced early. I couldn't believe I didn't just shout "YES!" I was trying to think it through and not just base the decision on "how I felt".  It was only 5 more days until I was induced anyway, and baby was doing just fine. So, I told her I would wait.

Who does that? Who chooses to be pregnant 5 more days?

As soon as I had left the office, I knew that I made the wrong decision. I called my doctor back as soon as I got home. She called me back early that afternoon and scheduled my induction for the next morning.

We arrived at about 4:30 AM on October 31st to be induced. However they couldn't actually do anything except hook me up to monitors until about 9 AM because they didn't have any orders in the computer. As soon as the doctor arrived to the hospital that day they decided to give me Cytotec which is another form of medicine used to jump start labor. Then, the waiting game began. I was having a lot of contractions in the early afternoon. They gave me another dose of the Cytotec by mid afternoon and I was dialated to a 3 by early evening but I didn't make much progress after that. They told me 9 PM they weren't going to do anything else until morning and that I should rest. At about 6:30 AM, Nov. 1st. I was still only at a 3 and they started the Potocin. The nurses were coming in every 30 minutes to check my blood pressure and each time they came in they upped the dosage of Potocin. At about 9:30 I quickly progressed and was dialated to an 8! At 10:15 I finally called for an epidural, they were there within 5 minutes and by 10:30 I was all good to go. They told me it would take about 20 minutes for it to take full affect and that I would start feeling at ease. A little less than that 20 minutes and I was fully dialated and ready to push! At 11:54 our beautiful 9 lb 3 oz. baby girl was finally here!!

Phew the hard part was over, or was it?

To be Continued...



2 comments: