Wednesday, November 21, 2018

What’s It All About?

Good Thanksgiving-Eve Morning! (Is that even a thing?) I was going to post something deep and thought-provoking about the upcoming holiday tomorrow, but then I was up for twenty hours yesterday while cleaning, running errands and doing some baking and prepping for Thanksgiving. Then we had church and then I drove six hours to go pick up Joel and bring him home for Thanksgiving. I've had four hours of sleep and we're about to get back on the road so unfortunately, I'm not nearly as profound and thought-provoking as I'd hoped.

In lieu of that, I know that many of you may be stressing out about making sure everything is done and ready for family, food, etc. If I were not so exhausted, I know that I would be. So as you stress over the details:

  • do I use my nice plates and have more dishes? Is a plain ol' paper plate too boring? Does any store still have any Thanksgiving plates and napkins that I could pick up?--and by the way, they don't
  • If I don't make a pumpkin pie this year, is it still really Thanksgiving? What do you mean it takes more than a day to defrost a turkey?)
I'd like to point out that, as important as a defrosted turkey is, none of those details you're stressing about is what makes Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is a day for thanking God for all He's given you and making memories with your loved ones. If those memories include frozen turkey and flimsy paper plates, so be it.

And that's as profound as I can be right now. So let me ask you, what one item MUST be on the table tomorrow? What would you never go without for Thanksgiving dinner? 

6 comments:

  1. Mashed potatoes and gravy. A must have for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow will be both happy and sad for me. There is a secret I can’t yet reveal that will be incredibly happy, I will also be happy that both Doug and I have the day off and it will be our first Thanksgiving that we get to spend the whole day together. The sad part is that the kids are with their Dad this year so the first Thanksgiving without them! This will just be a practice because unfortunately, the same thing happens on Christmas Day! The good news I get to do Thanksgiving again at the weekend with the kids and I will celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve this year!! Making some lemonade and smiling through it!!
    So for my table tomorrow? Nothing much whatever Doug and I decide to cook which might even be leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cornbread dressing is a must around our house. My daughter is making it this year. Tomorrow is my birthday, so the girls have taken a lot of the cooking off of me. I’m only doing the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin pie, homemade dressing, and cranberry jello salad!... except that cranberry jello salad may not make it to the table this year because I can't find my recipe or the jello mold WHICH IS STILL PACKED IN A BOX!!!! haha... But it will still be a day to thank God again for my husband, family serving God, parents and friends. I'm too blessed to be stressed!! (How is that for positive thinking?! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green bean casserole!

    ReplyDelete