Friday, November 23, 2018

New traditions

Well, we just finished our first holiday in Brazil! It was fun, but different than what we're used to.

First of all, it's hard to wrap your head around Thanksgiving and Christmas when it's 90 degrees outside.

Then there's the fact that Thanksgiving dinner is a little different due to the fact that you can't always find the same ingredients.. For instance, if you like green bean casserole (don't admit it if you don't because that is just wrong) you have to make the cream of mushroom soup from scratch and make the French fried onions from scratch.

On the dinner menu, my husband cannot have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. I had never made a pumpkin pie before... Or any pie..  Or pie dough... Ya, so that was a lot of firsts.

I started with a test pie. The dough seemed to turn out fine, and the pie mix seemed to turn out ok... After making the pumpkin puree, and realizing too late that I needed to strain the pumpkin so it wasn't too watered down. Finally,  the pie was in the oven and it would be done just in time to eat after dinner...

Did I mention, along with never making a pumpkin pie that I had never eaten one either. And that I didnt know you don't generally eat the pie hot... It's better room temp or cold. Or so I've been told.

Ya, so the pie was finally done when my hubby shared this little fact about not eating it hot. So the next morning he had pumpkin pie for breakfast. 😂 And I'm happy to say that hubby loved it!

First pumpkin pie.. Success!

Thanksgiving day came and we had some other missionaries over and celebrated together! This Thanksgiving I am thankful for friends over here to get together!!

1 comment: