Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Glasses Conundrum

   I’ve been wearing contacts since I was about twelve. I had glasses before that, but I never wore them. The problem was that my dad went with me to get my eye exam that day, and after they dilated my eyes I couldn’t see to choose a pair of glasses, so…. my dad picked some for me.
I’m just going to leave it at that. 

  Ever since then, I’ve been wearing contacts. I usually keep a backup pair of glasses, but I hate wearing them. I hate not being able to see out of the corners and sides, but I need something for at night when I take my contacts out.

  Now, I am not an ambitious person when it comes to my style. I find what’s comfortable and I stick to it.  I have had the same style of glasses for the past ten years, because instead of looking around when I go in, I just pick the one that looks like the old pair. I know that it doesn’t look completely hideous on me so I go with it. But hey, it’s just for at nights and early mornings anyways, so it doesn’t have to be flashy.

  All of that brings me to this week. I needed some new contacts and to update my glasses prescription. They haven’t been updated in several years, but I didn’t wear them enough to let it bother me, but they were old, and bent, and it was just time. So off I went.

   I decided this time around that I was going to look around and try to find something different. The eye doctor had a deal where when you buy one pair of glasses, you get a second pair for only $10 more. Yay me! I spent some time looking around and trying on different styles. When all was said and done, I had chosen two pairs. One was completely different than anything I had ever chosen before. I liked it, but it was out of my comfort zone. The second pair was similar to the style I had before, but it was a little nicer and a little flashier. I was confident with my choice and I gave them to the clerk.

  After my exam, I was checking out and the clerk went and grabbed my glasses. When she came back she said “This choice surprises me.” I thought she was talking about the first pair. My out of the box choice. Shockingly enough, she was talking about my comfort zone choice. She said she didn’t see people my age choosing a style like that very often. I put them on and asked “do they look bad?” she said “no, just different.” Then I tried on the other pair, and she said “now that I like a lot better.”  The glasses that I’ve always chosen…. Apparently, not great. Have you ever seen this spaghetti sauce commercial?
 

    It ends with her asking “I wonder what other bad decisions I’ve made.” That’s about how I left the eye doctor that day.



   Now, don’t forget the giveaway this week! You still have a chance for six more entries. Don’t forget to leave your name in your comment so we know who to enter into the drawing, and let us know if you liked and shared our post! 

18 comments:

  1. Fashion advice from our dads: "just pick one, who cares." Me, dad!!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is that they look scarily like the picture at the top of the post. :O

      Delete
  2. Love it! I'm pretty sure I can identify with you when it comes to my hairstyle. When everyone finally tells you the truth...that the style I have now is GREAT and makes me look so young.. and that they didnt really like me in curly hair... well, I can pretty much write off the last 50 years! haha But I'm good to go now for the next 50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do exactly the same thing.....comfort is always good!! Isn't it??? Lol
    Ps... I liked and shared 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can name all you're "bad decisions" 😁👹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I can name all of yours, so watch your back.

      Delete
  5. Picking out glasses is so hard! It normally takes me at least a half hour to try on every pair they have on display(that are cheap of course). just to end up choosing the ones i tried on first!
    ~Anya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always too self conscious to stand there and try a bunch on. Again with the comfort thing.

      Delete
  6. I think making someone pick out glasses after having your eyes dilated is just mean. I started wearing glasses in the 3rd grade. In high school I was allowed to get contacts and only wore glasses when I had to. Then, I had lasik and was "chain" free for about 11 years...now, I'm back to glasses (thanks to my astigmatism coming back...apparently having children can cause this to come back). Anyway, I didn't enjoy picking out glasses this time either, but it is what it is! Glad you got out of your comfort zone a bit! 😊
    ~LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start praying that God allows me to keep wearing contacts!

      Delete
  7. I was just having a similar conversation with my husband. I always wore my contacts. Most people didn't even know I wore them. Now after 5 kids & 2 prs of really cute glasses, I hardly wear contacts. My glasses have become a part of who I am. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hated getting my eyes dilated. 😂 I still do, and getting called four eyes. But four eyes are better than two. Lol

    ~Mariah maki😜~

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my case my dad has better style than my mom so I would rather have him helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy glasses online. It saves money and I don't get snarky comments from clerks who probably don't have any fashion sense. I mean, they do wear khakis and a blue lab coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do that. Plus you can upload your picture now and try on all the styles! Although, never quite looks the same.

      Delete
  11. Now I want to see pictures of u in both pairs of glasses. ☺️

    Erica Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I want to see u in both pairs of glasses. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last time I went to try on glasses I discovered that the only frames I liked were the ones I already had. Guess they better hold up for a long time or I'm stuck!

    ReplyDelete