Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Hobbies aren't for mothers!

   Today, my husband told me I needed a hobby. You see, he has several hobbies, but his hobbies only require a one time purchase that he made back when he was a teenager. For example, He loves to hunt.

But other than a hunting license every year, he already has the bow, and the rifle, and the tree stands, and the camouflage clothing. He's had all of that for years because he's hunted for years.  So when I try to explain to him that having a hobby is too expensive, he doesn't quite understand.

  I have several hobbies. I love to do crafts. But the craft supplies don't just appear out of thin air. Say if I wanted to make a wreath for my front door. That seems thrifty, right? Because making one would definitely be cheaper than buying one already made. Have you seen the price of a simple wreath at Hobby Lobby or Michael's?? So making a wreath is cheaper, but still, there's the wreath, and then any flowers, and decorations, and add ons that you want. Even with sales and coupons it still comes out to about thirty dollars to make a wreath. That's fine for a once in a while thing, but not for a hobby.

  I also like to sew and crochet. But again, yarn and material don't just appear out of thin air. Have you ever looked at a crochet pattern before? You need 10 skeins of this color, and another 7 of that color, and don't forget the 4 skeins of that other color for the border. Crocheting is also not a pocket appropriate hobby. Sewing is a little cheaper especially if you wait for sales on the material, but I made some tote bags last year to sell and make a little extra Christmas money. I was shocked at how much it cost me just to make a bag. When you're selling them for $15 and you're making them for $7 or $8, that's not a whole lot of profit. So, I sold them for $20. 😁

  Along the crafting lines, I like to re-purpose pretty much all of my house decorations. I have painted, or spray painted, or burlap wrapped nearly everything I own. I enjoy that and changing the way things look around the house, but again, the paint and burlap aren't free either. Again, not a hobby.

I enjoy reading. I enjoy reading a lot actually. As long as it's one of those books that gets my attention in the first couple of pages. Otherwise, I'll spend a good 6 months trying to read the same book and maybe never get through it. Now, reading is a hobby I can afford because my mom practically has a library of Christian fiction books and she knows what I like to read so she only gives me the good ones. Plus, you can always find books at thrift store for less that a $1. So, why is reading not my hobby you ask? Well, because of these two little toddlers that run around my house. Every mom knows the struggle of sitting down to read, whether it's a book, a recipe, an article, or even your devotions and after about 5 minutes you realize that you've read the same two sentences thirty times and still you have no idea what they said. My kids will want absolutely nothing to do with me until I find something that I would really like to turn my attention to, then suddenly I'm a jungle gym, or they need another snack and more juice, or he took her toy and so she's screaming, or they're trying to brush their teeth on their own...with toilet water, or she has a belt wrapped around his neck and is trying to play doggy. 🐕😕 Yes, unfortunately that has happened. ok, so for the safety of my house and children, reading can't be a hobby. Wait till they're in bed? Is that what you're saying? Umm, sometimes I almost don't make it until they go to bed, so I definitely don't stay awake for long once they are asleep.


So for now, my hobby is just simply these guys and their little brother or sister that is on the way. And I think I'm totally okay with that for now. 

5 comments: