Friday, January 18, 2019

In the Swing of Things

The Holidays are over and life is back to normal.  Well, as normal as it can get. Our Portuguese classes have started back, which let me tell you, I have a love-hate relationship with those classes. 😀  You see, when we go to class, I am excited to be going, and excited about what we'll learn that day; but then about halfway through the 2 hour class, my brain starts trying to convince me that I have lost too many brain cells to learn a new language. Those moms out there who go back to school after they have kids, I hand it to them! That's amazing to me!

  To me, the hardest part of learning a language is just accepting what is. When a kid is learning to speak, they learn easily because they just accept that is how it is supposed to be. When an adult learns a new language, there is the constant comparison to the language they already know. You can't do that, you just have to accept that this is the how they say things or how their grammar is and no it won't make sense compared to English because it's not English.

 Anyways, my oldest seems to be picking up things quite well. She is always singing the Portuguese songs from church, and getting quite a few of the words correct. She also asked me the other day how many Reais her shirt cost. That shocked me because that is the Brazilian currency and we haven't really talked to her about money here. While we are at language school, the girl that watches our kids teaches them a few words every time as well, and the kids love to practice them at home. They also ask quite often "what is this in Portuguese?".

 A few other happenings...

We upgraded to a big girl chair!

We found a great Pinterest activity for hot days. Freeze toys in a bowl of water and then chizzle them out. Just to clarify, those are butter spatulas they are using. They are not knives and are not sharp in any way. 

We also tried to dress ourselves for church. This one has a style that is like no other. 

That's all going on for us, how's your new year going??



5 comments:

  1. I'm digging the whole PJ thing under the suit coat. Looks a whole lot more comfortable. Might try that one of these Sundays. Think it might go over well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, she cant be old enough for a big girl chair! haha.. Praying for your language classes. I couldnt do it... you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella has also been trying to wear her pajamas under clothes. Maybe these kids are onto something? 🤷🤔

    ReplyDelete