Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Resistance is Not Futile

Before I start today's post, let me say that, despite our blog's name, LOLinministry, I'm aware that my last couple of posts have been a little more serious in nature. Today's post will be too. We still laugh out loud a lot around here, and I'm not changing the tone of our blog, but these last few posts have been things that God has impressed on my heart that I wanted to share with you. I do promise, though, that next week I will make you laugh out loud. Or at least grin a little.

James 4:7 tells us, Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. What do you think of when you hear that verse? Truthfully, I always thought of it in the aspect of temptation. In other words, if Satan is tempting you with something and you resist, he will flee.

While that application is true, there's another principle where this verse applies, but while I knew the principle, I don't think I ever before realized this verse applied to it.

Do you know how Jesus sees you? You should because He's made it plain in His Word.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Psalm 139:14

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; Jeremiah 1:5

The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: Jeremiah 31:3

I think God has made it pretty clear that He loves us and knows us. But then, sometimes do you have these thoughts--

I'm not good enough.

I blew it again.

I'm not worthy.

I'm nothing special.

If God has told us that we're "wonderfully made", that He knew us before we were conceived and that He loves us, then these negative thoughts aren't coming from Him. So who are they coming from?

Maybe they're coming from someone who knows that, if he can bog us down with feelings of negativity and lack of self-worth, then we won't be of much use in service to the Lord. Let's face it--if we're battling those negative thoughts, we're much less likely to be sharing the Gospel. Or encouraging a fellow believer. Or serving effectively in our local church.

What's even worse is the fact that those negative thoughts focus our attention on ourselves. Each of those statements start with I.

We may not be able to help it when those negative thoughts come. And sometimes those feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness can be pretty strong. But if those thoughts are from Satan, then we can apply James 4:7 and resist him, causing him to flee from us.

James 4:8 tells us how to resist. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Start by praising God for what He's done for you, and thanking Him for His love for you. When you're focusing on Him and His great love and sacrifice for us, it's pretty hard to stay negative.

So what can you praise God for this week? What's He done for you?


3 comments:

  1. He took care of a few expenses out of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a much needed snow day! We were able to catch up on alot of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God takes care of my husband.... even if he IS in the ER!...and he watches over and answers prayer for those who are far from me but close at heart!

    ReplyDelete