Friday, March 29, 2019

Mother, May I? - Setting the Record Straight

If you're reading this, then you probably read our last post written by Jill, my mother. https://lolinministry.blogspot.com/2019/03/mother-may-i.html   I would like to share my side of this story ... or these stories.

  My mom is a writer. A suspense writer. So, as you can imagine, the stories she made up for us when we were children were not your average "mommy stories".   Let me share one with you. When I was in high school, my mother taught at our school. So, we had to leave early every morning, and as we pulled out of our subdivision, there was always a bus parked near the entrance. The bus wasn't running,  it was just parked there and the driver was sitting inside.  And my mother,  being who she is,  would tell us that the driver had to stop there every morning to get rid of the dead bodies he had hidden on the bus.  She said that it was a good body dump spot because there was a drop off right there into a swampy area. I'm not a huge fan of buses to this day. 


As for scenarios of survival from dad. He is a krav maga instructor, plus he is also teaches concealed carry classes. So, when we were young teens and my parents were going to be gone for a whole day or something like that,  my dad would teach us where in the house to go and what to do first, and so forth; and then we would act it out. My dad would be "the intruder" and we would have to follow the plan. It was fun, but now, when I'm home alone and I hear all those "house noises" that sound like someone is coming to kill you,
I automatically think of those scenarios. He was a pretty good teacher, in those areas anyways. Teaching me to drive is another story. Let's just say, we went to an empty parking lot and it ended after five minutes when he told me to back the car up and then yelled, "boom, you just ran over a person and killed them"...  Mom did the rest of my driving lessons after that.

Now, on the flip side of things, we may or may not say things to our kids that they might bring up later. The other day we decided to play an impromptu game of hide and seek. It really only started because the kids had searched half the house for me and hadn't found me, so I decided to stay hidden for a while. They even looked in the room I was in, but they didn't check behind the door. So, my husband told them that I disappeared because they were too naughty. After he sent them my way two more times, and they still didn't find me, they were starting to panic. So, I jumped out and scared them. They screamed, laughed, but it was a half cry half laugh. My son said, " I thought you disappeared forever!". My daughter said, "Daddy said you were gone because we were naughty, but I told him 'Nuh-uh!!!!' ".  

I guess what goes around comes around. I wonder what they're gonna bring up when they're my age. 


1 comment:

  1. Driving stories are always great! I preferred learning from my dad. Driving with mom was always everyone sitting in the car in intense silence, then mom would scare me by randomly screaming (while hitting the imaginary break), "There's a car!!! Oh wait, no you're fine! Keep going!" And the silence would take back over. She has gotten much better!

    ReplyDelete