Wednesday, August 23, 2017

There's no such thing as a few quick errands!



A few weeks ago, my husband and I got to go away for a couple of days. Just him and I. That was the first time away since we've been married. Sad, right? Well we had a wonderful time! We were also reminded of how easy our life was before we had kids. While we were gone we made four stops in an hour's time. It's been awhile since we've been able to do that. Those who have children know that making four stops with children takes way longer than an hour. 

Monday, I had errands I needed to run for our upcoming Ladies Extravaganza that we are having at our church. Of course, I had my daughters with me. I had three stops to make, and I only had a couple of things at each store to get. We were off to a good start in Walmart even though I forgot my pre-store pep talk that I have with my girls. Ya know, the one that tells them to behave, stay with me and not to ask for anything. We had to get paint, and that required a lot of questions from the girls: What color are we getting? Why is it shaking like that? Can I mix that, mom? Well the man at the counter heard the last question and gave each of the girls their own stir sticks. The first thing I said was, "don't hit each other". Olivia immediately started playing the drums on my hands while I was pushing the cart. It went downhill from there. The girls started climbing in and out of the cart. Then they needed to go potty. And so on and so forth. 

Next, we went to JoAnn's. I literally had two things to buy, but the girls were not obeying. I told Stella not to touch a toy as we were walking through the checkout lane so she said to Talia, " Grab, that Talia". I love when they work together but not when it's against me. We get to the register and Stella talks to the cashier as usual, telling them her and sisters' names. As I'm getting on my phone quickly to pull up a coupon, Talia is pushing the cart away from me and runs it right into a shelf full of hand soaps. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, a lot like I had lost control, and also very sweaty.

That's not all. Why on Earth would you go to another store? You ask. Good question.

Our last stop was Party City. Have you ever taken small children to Party City? No? Good, don't! My kids were running down the aisles and then they turned around to see who could run back to the cart the fastest. They thought it was hilarious ... I did not. I heard a lot of "Mom, can I get this?" They heard a lot of, "No!" I was still overwhelmed and still sweaty. We made it to the checkout. While I was checking out, Stella started playing drums on a pinata and Talia asked for every single piece of candy down the checkout line. I bought one thing. We were there for 20 minutes.

It took a total of two and half hours to get my three errands done.


How do you shop or get anything accomplished with little kids?

8 comments:

  1. Your momma skills are great--so proud of you!! You could always move closer to home so we could help more--I know I know, but this gma can still hope right?!?!😉 Love you and keep up the great work--love this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you Kylee!! It's amazing what you accomplish, with 3 littles in tow! And you're always so calm and patient! You are an amazing woman and mommy ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. My day went like that yesterday between getting my kindergartener to/from school, attend a special prayer meeting, a pediatrician's visit, a chiropractor visit and another special prayer meeting at night...it was a hectic day that had its share of discipline along the way with 3 children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to take a second adult (or my older kids) with me, tell them to wait in the car with the two year old and I return within 5 minutes with my one item. That's my best possible outcome. Otherwise I spend an extra $50 on things like a bouncy ball, a new outfit that she thought was too beautiful to go home without, a box of gogurts, a package of go-go applesauce, an animated Redbox movie that I won't be able to watch and some vending machine toy squeezed into a container that is obviously parent-proof which cost me a good $3! Plus, I'm pushing a cart that she refuses to sit in because she says she's a big girl, all while I'm saying "slow down and stay with me please" at least every two seconds. That's the second best outcome.
    The third outcome is I walk out carrying my screaming two year old out of the store (somewhat diagonally) and without the one item I made the entire trip for.
    So when my husband says "are u gonna take Tatum to the store with u?", to me, my answer is generally "I'd rather not."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has changed now that they are grown. If they are with me it takes twice as long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete