Friday, January 26, 2018

Brain Fog & Baby Prep

  I'm 27 weeks with baby #3, and this pregnancy has really done a number on me. Like I said, I'm 27 weeks, but I feel like I'm 39 weeks. I don't know what it is except that things get a little harder with each pregnancy, maybe?? I would share a picture of the baby belly, except I've realized that with each baby you take fewer baby bump pictures. With my first baby it was once a month, second baby I think I took three the whole pregnancy, third baby I don't think I've even take one. But I don't want to leave you without a picture.

  


Pretty much how I feel these days.


Anyways, this post isn't for complaining about my giant belly and swollen ankles. This is about the last week and how pregnancy brain has hit me. We've been on deputation for two years this months. This is my second deputation pregnancy. In that time, while I have definitely not done everything perfect and remembered everything, I've never really made major mistakes.  I also haven't made a ton of mistakes in the same trip. Well, this past weekend broke my superwoman streak.

Back story is that we had just finished a week long conference at our church and been out late every night, and that week came after the flu and stomach bug went through our house. Plus, like I said, 27 weeks pregnant. All of that equals an exhausted me. So, the weekend starts and we have a meeting 3 hours from home. That means, leave Saturday afternoon and usually means come back Sunday night after church. It's easier to travel at night and we enjoy waking up at home.

One night gone. no big deal. Easy packing, right?  Hubby had already set out the church clothes and socks and shoes he wanted. My job was to pull together the overnight stuff and what me and the kids needed for church the next day. I was even doing laundry that morning so I could pick through and set stuff aside as I folded it. When all was said and done, I felt like that had been too easy and I had to be missing something, but I couldn't think of anything.

The time came and we left. We met the pastor for dinner, checked into the hotel, settled down for the night, and seemed to have everything for the night, except for my hubby's melatonin that he takes at night. He has a hard time falling asleep and takes that every night. Saturday night is not the best night to forget that.  Sunday morning rolls around. I got up and started getting ready. I seemed to have everything. Hubby got up and started getting ready.... that's when we realized we were missing a few more things. We did bring the church clothes that he had set out, but that's all we brought. I hadn't packed him anything else. Thankfully he had his toothbrush, razor, gel, and comb because he had packed those as he got ready the day before. I know, I know. I won some major wife awards, huh? 🏆🏆

So, we deal with that and head to church. Had a great service, good fellowship with the pastor, a great Sunday afternoon nap, and a great evening service. We got all packed in the car and headed home. You're probably thinking right now "this isn't a major mistake so what's the big deal?". Well, you're right. It wasn't a major mistake, but that's not the end. We got home late on Sunday night and then Monday morning our son decided that even though it was a late night we needed an early morning. By 7:30 we were all up. That's not my fault though. It was when we started showering and getting dressed for the day that we realized that in packing up the hotel room, I had left our toiletry bag sitting on the bathroom sink. Most of which was easily replaced, but there was hubby's electric razor that he's had for several years. It was a nice one that his grandparents had given him. The thing just never dies, which isn't normal for most electric razors. We started looking online and realized that to get one like it was going to cost too much. It'd be much cheaper to just have the hotel mail us the bad.

 I had called the hotel, but they had trouble locating our bag. So, I started worrying that maybe I hadn't left it on the counter. Maybe it fell off our luggage cart in the parking lot and was gone forever. Maybe it fell out when we put our display stuff in the car at the church. Who knows where it could be. Finally, late that day, the hotel called back and said they had found it and we got it shipped.

None of this, may seem like a big deal to you, but I am not usually this forgetful of a person. I'm kind of OCD about my packing. My husband teases sometimes that he could really get to me just by helping pack because he knows he'd be messing up the process that's going on in my head. I usually pack for the family, he packs for the ministry, and he packs the car. It works best that way and for the most part, we don't forget things. Until now of course. Guess there has to be a first time for everything.

The weekend was followed by me telling hubby that I really needed a day off. We make no plans, we don't worry about catching up on anything, we just try to relax. I relaxed by passing out on the couch for a nap at 10 in the morning. Don't judge, that's not normal for me. My hubby realized something was off when he called out to me from his office and I didn't answer, he called out again, and nothing. He said he walked in the living room and found, in his words "my wife sprawled on the couch like she's dead and the kids standing on the coffee table trying to kill eachother!". He spent the next hour asking me if I was ok because I don't ever sleep through the kids being loud and rowdy. I can't usually sleep at all if I know the kids are awake, and if I manage to close my eyes I jump up at every little noise they make. So he was sure something was wrong. I just kept telling him "I told you I was gonna take the day off"... although, I don't think either of us quite knew that was what I meant. What can I say. Sometimes the mom body just needs to sprawl on the couch like she's dead and sleep through a little noise. Disclaimer: No children were hurt in any way during the day off.

For the record, the day off completely helped and now nesting has set in. So the rest of the week has been quite productive I am happy to say. So that was my week. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment