Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Dinner for Six


One of the Christmas presents we got this year was a restaurant gift card. We enjoyed it last week when we got to go out with our four youngest boys. 

Going out with these guys is kind of like taking my life in my hands because I never know what they're going to do. For instance, right off the bat they have to be reminded not to blow straw paper wrappers at each other while waiting for the food. 

We were all coming from different directions, so we decided to meet at the restaurant. Nick and I got there first, so we went in and asked for a table for six. I was pleased that we didn't have to wait until I realized they were leading us to a booth. An oversized booth might seat four people comfortably, but there was no way I wanted to get crammed into one booth with these five guys, so I asked for a table. 

Each of the guys had a set dollar amount that they couldn't go over so I had to go through the menu with them and remind them that all the yummy "add-ons" that the server would offer were going to cost extra. The add-ons were fine as long as their total didn't go over their set amount. And I had to remind them that the same went for the "premium" sides as opposed to the classic sides. 

The waitress brought one small loaf of rye bread on the table, and the boys immediately fell on it, gobbling it down before she even had a chance to get back to the kitchen. When she stopped by the table again, they asked for more and she brought out another loaf. One loaf. Clearly she did not have a lot of males in her household. When they devoured that loaf just as quickly, she brought another helping, but this time she brought two loaves. They guys finished all four loaves before they brought out the salads.

We do practice table manners at home, but I still had to remind one of my guys that broccoli was not usually eaten with the fingers, and that large portions of anything should be cut with a knife before eating. He gave me a long-suffering sigh as he moaned, "This is so hard!" Apparently good manners are quite the struggle.

In spite of the fact that I try to mind my manners, I do find myself eating quickly when we go anywhere with the boys. The reason for that is, they gobble down their own food and then start eyeing my plate. "Are you gonna eat that whole steak?", "Are you done with that salad?" are typical things they start saying as they edge closer. I practically have to curve my arm around my plate and wave them off with my fork. So much for manners.

I considered it a successful night because no one spilled their drink (although one came close), no one made loud or rude noises, and any inappropriate comments were made too low for people at the neighboring tables to hear them.

So how about you? Do you dare take your children out in public?

9 comments:

  1. Not between the ages of 2 and 15, that way I can attempt to keep my sanity lol
    I’m just kidding obviously, cause I like food too much NOT to go out to eat and I usually don’t have a sitter. That being said, sometimes the kids act better than the hubby, so...my struggle is real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband behaved, but I’m pretty sure he encouraged the guys when I wasn’t looking!

      Delete
  2. Having one girl makes eating out with her easy! It's her dad we have to be concerned with.....LOL 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure it was a guy thing! 🙂

      Delete
  3. I thought the dread of taking your kids out jn public would stop in a few years... You mean I still have like 20 years to go??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve eaten out with your brothers, how could you not know this?

      Delete
  4. My brother still blows his straw wrappers at me when we go places to eat and he is 23. It never really stops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom tought me and my kids to blow straw paper. We always got complements of how good my kids were.

    ReplyDelete