Friday, January 19, 2018

Mom life

 This is coming to you at 3:00 in the morning when my one year old decided he couldn't sleep and then I realized that I hadn't blogged. And what else would be on one's mind at 3a.m. Other than the the thing that is keeping them awake. My children.


  My son has been tossing and turning in his bed for a while now and finally woke up to come find me and tell me he wanted his cup. Well, I didn't have his cup, the kitchen did... And I'm not a house wanderer at 3a.m. But being the good mother I am, and knowing I won't get to go back to sleep if he doesn't get some water, we trekked across the dark eerie house. TurningπŸ’‘ onπŸ’‘ every πŸ’‘singleπŸ’‘ lightπŸ’‘ as πŸ’‘we πŸ’‘wentπŸ’‘πŸ˜ We have our water and now I'm gonna write this while I wait for him to fall back asleep. I have to wait because I may not be a house wanderer, but he is.

  Kids are funny aren't they? And we do things as parents that we never thought we would have to do or say in our lives. My father in law keeps telling me to do a post called "things I never thought I'd have to say" but I haven't because most of them aren't really appropriate. Think about it, if you never thought you'd have to say it there's probably a good reason, but then your kids does something and you're like "why in  the world do I have to tell you that's not and okay thing to do?!?!". I remember my mom having some of those. Our family growing up had some rules that probably fall into my mom's category of "things she never thought she'd have to say". 

 Then kids say the funniest things too. Our two year old, almost three year old πŸ˜’, is learning something new every day. Her new "thing" lately is "I has a question for you". The first time she said that was at nap time when she didn't want me to leave her room...
Daughter: "mom, I has a question for you."
Me: "ok, what?"
Daughter : "it's about dinosaurs"
Me: (intrigued) "what about dinosaurs"
Then she proceeds to tell me, not ask me, something about dinosaurs. We've had this exact conversation three or four times in the last few days and I still haven't figured out what it is about dinosaurs that she's  "asking" me.

My son is in between sizes right now. He's too tall for 12 month pants, but too skinny for 18 month pants. It's a real problem because most of the time he either looks like he's ready for a flood or he didn't get the memo on belts. And when his pants are too big and they fall down, he doesn't see the need to actually pull them back up, he just waddled around as is. The other day I realized why he doesn't want to pull them up. Baggy pant legs make great toy storage apparently. After telling him to pull his pants up and watching him struggle, I went over to help him. He couldn't get them up because he had a toy stuffed down each leg. He was quite proud of himself for thinking of it too because he wasn't too happy when I took them out, pulled his pants up, and said "we don't put toys down our pants". That would be on that list of "things I never thought I'd have to say".

I remember when my little brother was three years old and we got to the point where he would get a pat down before every service Because his Sunday school teacher kept finding him with cars and G. I. Joe's. Turns out he was hiding them in the back of his tie in that little bar that's supposed to hold the back of the tie to the front. My son hasn't figured that out yet. At least his smuggling method is a little easier to detect at this point. Pants on the ground = obvious clue.

Then they do the really cute things that make your heart melt. Last night on our way home from church our daughter was sitting in her carseat jabbering away when... 
Daughter: "mom, I'm pretty tired"
Me: "are you?" 
Daughter: "ya, and pretty cold. I need a blanket" 
Me: "I don't have a blanket, sweetie. You'll have to wait till we get home."
Daughter : "oh. I'm pretty cold, dough (though) will you share your coat with me" 
Side note: my coat was the Jean jacket I was wearing over a sleeveless dress. 
Me: "I'm not really wearing a coat" 
Daughter: "yes you are. It's right dere" 
Me: "where" (thinking maybe she sees one in the back that I missed) 
Daughter: "on your back. Can you give it to me?" 
Thankfully daddy stepped in and shared his suit coat, because she was asking so sweetly and melting our heart. I was about to freeze and just go sleeveless in the 20 degree weather. 

Our son, however, had a not so sweet church evening. He got dropped off at the nursery and in record time my buzzer was going off. Apparently, he was pretty ticked that he was in the nursery, which is not unusual for him. But this time he was standing at the gate crying and then screaming and swatting at the workers who tried to come get him. Well, that just doesn't fly in our house and the workers know me well enough to know that. So we're back to the record time buzzing. I went back and we had a little session and chat about obeying and not hitting, followed by the most pathetic little quiver and "yes ma'am" I've ever heard. The he went back to his class and I didn't get buzzed again. They said there were a few more crying at the gate attempts, but no more hitting. Thank goodness for nursery workers. They get the un-fun job of watching everyone's cranky, tired babies this week. I say that like this is abnormal for my son because it's been a long week, but I know the truth. He's always cranky in the nursery. Sorry, ladies. 

Speaking of him, though, he's finally back asleep. So I think I'm  going to go back to sleep now. Hope everybody has a great Friday. I think I'll be sleeping in after this... Oh wait, no I won't. I have toddlers. What was I thinking? 

3 comments:

  1. Cute post. I love the little melt your heart moments with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I love my nieces and nephew. Hope y'all have a great super conference.

    ReplyDelete