Wednesday, June 6, 2018

My Hands are Full!


The girls and I went on our weekly grocery shopping trip on Monday. I like having groceries, but the whole process from creating a list to shopping for it to bringing it home and putting it all away, just isn’t my idea of “fun”. When you have three children with you, it makes it much more difficult to do the shopping you need to. As we were strolling through the store trying to get the things we needed, scratching things off the list, and the girls fighting about who is going to sit where in the cart, a complete stranger says, “You sure have your hands full”. I usually hear this at least once every trip to the store that we take. I usually just smile and go on my way, but now I hear it a lot and it’s getting annoying.

Monday’s trip I heard this a whopping five times ... yes, five times!

How am I supposed to take this?

A positive way as in, “You sure are blessed”. That I agree with.

A negative way as in, “You sure have lost control of your children”.

Or just someone who is making conversation because they remember when their children were that small.

No matter what way I take the phrase it’s still something a mom with children doesn’t like to hear, especially when she already feels exhausted from keeping her children under control in the store.

It got me thinking of other things that moms really don’t like hearing.

Enjoy Every Moment! -  I realize that my kids are only this age for a little while and are growing up before my eyes, but do I really need to enjoy the moment that they are putting stickers on my van window?

You look tired! - Well, how thoughtful of you for noticing!

Just Wait! - What, because the terrible two’s are terrible enough? The teenage years are going to be far worse? I’m not sure if this phrase is advice or a warning.

Even though the phrase drives me nuts , I do believe it’s true. Yes, I have my hands full with my kids, but my heart is more full!

What phrases drive you insane?

3 comments:

  1. My mom likes to make the correlation between me when I was younger to my kids. I often get “jeez, I know someone who used to do that” or “wow, who do I know who did that too?”
    Yes, Mom, I know. I was a monster child and now I’m being paid back times 4 (which I don’t actually believe). I can usually deal with the comments by nodding my head and walking away but some days my reaction is...youtube worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're trying to correct your child in public and someone tells you to just "let the kid be a kid". Really? How well is that working out for the world today? We let way too many kids just be kids and now we have a bunch of adult kids who don't want to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they twins? How do you handle having twins? And the worst question is Which one is the evil twin?

    ReplyDelete