Friday, September 14, 2018

Where Were You?

When September 11th rolled around this past Tuesday, my facebook newsfeed filled with photos, images and inspirational memes that encouraged us to never forget what happened seventeen years ago.

In memory of that day, some people go to memorials. Some people fly flags. Different people do their remembering in different ways.

I do my remembering by watching news footage from that day. News anchors of the day talking about the beautiful weather ... and then cutting into their commercials and interrupting their interviews with breaking news about a plane that crashed into the World Trade Center. I listen to their speculation and then see the shock and horror that their professionalism couldn't hide when the second plane hit the second tower.

You see, I didn't see any of that when it happened because I wasn't even in the States then. My husband and I and our children had been in Uganda, East Africa, for almost 18 months, serving as missionaries. Except my husband wasn't in Uganda on that day. He had traveled home for some mandatory meetings, landing in the States approximately twelve hours before the world changed forever.

This was a time before wifi and smart phones and texting. We got internet once a day when we hooked up our computer to the phone lines so we could access our email. I heard about the attacks from another missionary that called to find out if Terry had left for the States yet.

My husband called a short time later to assure me that he was okay. And then he told me that all planes had been grounded indefinitely.

It felt very surreal--here I was in a small village in Uganda with our six children, ages eleven to one, while my husband was at home in the States. He was in the "safe" place, but for the first time I felt like I was safer in Uganda than at home.

So I watch the news footage and I see the tragedy as it unfolds, but the tragedy isn't what I'm looking for. I see a nation that was hit hard. A nation that staggered and fell to its knees. I see images of people looking on in horror and fleeing in terror.

And then I see a nation that wiped the dirt from it's face and turned to face the enemy. Together. Strong. Unafraid. People who were proud of their nation and unashamed of calling on God.

And I pray that we become a nation that is once more consumed with turning to God and standing for what's right instead of being blinded by silly arguments of gender fluidity and choked by political correctness to the point of lunacy.

I remember ... and I pray.

So where were you on September 11, 2001? Do you remember?

5 comments:

  1. I was young but I remember that day. I was in Washington for my family reunion. I was so afraid for any of my family members to leave and I was beyond terrified to fly back only a few days later. It was my first time flying and it was an absolute nightmare for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in college and working. I didn’t hear about it until I was in my car heading to work. I noticed the radio was unusually quiet and the morning show hosts were not cracking any jokes. I was living in San Jose, CA and I believe both planes had hit before I even knew anything about it. I didn’t see any footage of it until after my workday. School was cancelled. After school started up again I remember how weird it was not to hear air traffic. The school was in the flight path of the airport out there. I also remember the first time seeing a plane fly after 9/11...I think every student outside stopped and watched the plane fly by. I wasn’t saved then so I didn’t understand the spiritual things of that day, but I felt the unity. 3 short years later and I was in a class that was politically left-wing, and I knew that so many people had already forgotten that day and the unity and the love for their country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Kindergarten but I remember my mom picking me up and we went to a pastors office who had a TV and we watched the footage .I didn't really know what was going on but I knew it was important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at home and was watching the news when the first one hit. I was stunned! I couldn't believe this was happening in the USA! Then as I was watching the coverage live the 2nd one hit... I couldn't believe what my eyes had just seen! I just cried! I called the boys in to watch with me. As I watched those two towers burning before they fell, I remember asking my husband what was the plan to get out all those people out and how long would it take? My husband just looked at me... his look said what my mind could not comprehend. I suddenly remembered that he had a brother who worked there.... Praising God every Sept. 11th that he did not go into the office that day. I pray our country and its citizens remain vigilant against terror ...and that we as a nation never forget that all have gave some, but some gave it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jill! The best article I have ever read! You have been more of a blessing than you realize.

    ReplyDelete