Monday, December 17, 2018

Merry Makeshifter

We are officially in the middle of the Christmas season, which means Christmas Parties! There is no such thing as a party if you don't have decorating, right? Well that is one of my jobs at the church and when it comes to decorating I like to think ahead and pick decor that can be used for more than one event. Take this past weekend for example. We had our Sunday School class party Friday night, and our Cantata was Sunday evening followed by a dessert fellowship, both called for some decorating. 

My go to place for ideas for everything is Pinterest! I means whose isn't?

I was scrolling through different ideas of what I can do with things we already had between myself and the church. Also, something that was simple and elegant because my husband and I were also planning and prepping the party Friday night.

So I came across this:



Simple enough, all I had to buy was some Christmas Ribbon and Pine Cones! 

I did my shopping and I was all set. I had everything I needed to decorate and was ready to get started. I even got cinnamon pine cones, jackpot! Not only was it going to look pretty but it would smell pretty too! I must have been too confident with my plan because my first idea was a fail. My pine cones we're too large and my vases weren't as big as I remembered them being. Only two pine cones fit in each vase. 

So, I had to come up with something else. Ideas were spinning through my mind.  

Back story: We had just put a box with a Christmas tree in the next room that we attempted to put up. To make a long story short, it was a piece by piece tree, we were in a time crunch and couldn't figure out how to put the stand together. Needless to say we decided to not put up the tree and just do the table decorations. 

A new idea struck. I went to the next room and got two of the branches out of the box, fluffed them out and put them together. Then laid them on the table and it looked really good, until I added the vase with only two pine cones.


That plan was also a fail. I did away with the vase completely. 

Now what?

Finally, I decided on rustic simplicity.


I kept the tree branches and stuck the pine cones on top! It was simple, elegant, it smelled amazing, and it was easy to clean up! It wasn't my original idea but sometimes you have to makeshift what you have and keep on going, eventually it will all fall into place!

Your turn. Are you a decorator?

Do you quit working when your ideas do or do you keep on going?

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad your first plan failed because I actually liked the final result better than the original. I wouldn’t call myself a decorator but I enjoy decorating for holidays and parties but I always go with simple and minimal.

    ReplyDelete