Friday, December 21, 2018

Strange Visitors

  Living in Brazil is definitely different. From the food, to the way you clean your house, to where you put or do not put the toilet paper after you use the bathroom. I'll let you figure that one out.

  One of the most interesting things to us has been the wildlife. There is no air conditioning in most homes, so your home is always open. Well, that is if you don't want to literally have your home heat up like an oven. So with all the windows and doors open, you hear the birds all day, and are constantly swatting flies and bees that have decided to join you inside. 

  Our home seems to be exceptionally appealing to the wildlife. If you haven't read my other posts, we have already had to deal with a bee hive that was growing in our roof, and also spreading into my closet and bathroom. Then there were the bats that were living in the roof and a few of them decided to come see what the inside of the house was like a couple of nights. 

  Our most recent visitor made it's way in a few nights ago. Meet this guy.... 
This is a Maritaca (MA-DEE-TA-KA), a type of parrot. 

We had been hearing something outside of our bathroom for a few days. I thought it was just a bird trying to make a nest in our roof.  Apparently, he was doing more than that. He was picking through some foam sealant that had been used to fill a hole. I tried to upload a video for you all to watch this little adventure, but unfortunately I'm not tech savvy and I couldn't make it play.  Anyways, Mr. Maritaca made it through, stuck his head in, looked around, saw my hubby, and quickly pulled his head back out. A few seconds later, he stuck his head back in very slowly, and peeked at my hubby, the quickly pulled it out again. One last time, as if in disbelief of what he'd stumbled upon, he stuck his head back in, just barely. Then he grabbed one last piece of foam and rushed off. 

Hubby thought it was hilarious. I laughed watching the video, but then reminded hubby that he would be gone all day the next day and I really did not want one of those terrorizing me and the kids. If he hadn't been there, Mr. Maritaca could have decided to come in and explore, and I did not have a tennis racket or a bat on hand to defend myself. Before you all freak out, no, I would not attack an innocent bird, but these guys panic and attack when they feel like they are trapped. So the tennis racket and bat would be purely self defense. 

  Sometimes, living here is almost like living in a zoo, and not the good parts. The bird area and the reptile area are not my favorite parts of the zoo. Just a few minutes ago as I was writing, a large humming bird flew in and was circling the house. I'm just glad the kids are still asleep because that panic would not have been a fun start to the day! 

I'm just praying that we never get a visitor of the slithering on it's belly variety. The other day my three year old told me that God hates snakes too, and I opened my mouth to say something (I don't really know what I was going to say, maybe some parental pearls of wisdom.. 😆), I stopped. I can't really argue with that because Satan came in the form of a snake and then the snake became a cursed creature.... I think it's a logical thought to believe that God hates snakes. 

Now if I could just get my kids to stop asking for a monkey. Any suggestions??


5 comments:

  1. Reminds me of when we lived in a house in Naples, NY. When Zack was about two years old. We had carpenter bees, honey bees, a possum, a raccoon, and a deer all move in with us. Oh, the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you tell them that monkey's are evil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be hard to come up with scripture to back that one up. 🤔

      Delete
  3. We had some reptilian visitors back in the day when we called Georgia home. I’d prefer never to relive those moments so you can keep your birds/bats/bees down there in Brazil! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete