Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Off Year

Ever since our children started getting married, every other year is the "off" Christmas year. We're taught when we're little that we need to share, but that concept takes on a whole new meaning when you have married children and they have children.

All this means that this was our off year so our married children and all of our grandchildren were visiting the other halves of their families, leaving us with a very small group of our own for this year.

Side Note: Stephanie and her family are going to miss more than an off year because they are currently on the mission field. I'm not thinking of that yet though because the off year is hard enough to get through.

At any rate, I decided that, if I'm going to enjoy the years when all of our children can't be here, I needed to start looking at some of the blessings of an off year. Here are a few:


Most years we have a LOT of presents because we have a lot of people. So I end up using some basic stick-on name tags. Since the presents were far fewer, I was able to splurge on the really pretty tags.


I also was able to color coordinate the wrapping paper instead of using every scrap of every color leftover from every previous year.


Presents are easy to buy because protein is always in style.


And crackers and spray cheese make everybody happy.

In addition, I take shortcuts in the off years. For instance, I don't make homemade stuffing. I use Stovetop. To be honest, I think they prefer it anyway.

And this year hardly anyone did any wrapping until Christmas morning. I felt guilty for getting up at 6:00 to wrap presents, but by the time I was finished ALL of the rest of them were scrambling for wrapping paper and tape to wrap their gifts as well. Not a tradition I want to continue, but definitely something that wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for the off year.

As much as I miss all the ones who aren't here, it makes for a more enjoyable day when they all call even if it's just to chat for a few minutes. We also had video calls and multiple group chats which, if you've never been in a Boyd group chat, let's just say you're missing something ... crazy.

I try to cherish the moments we have because I know that, with the passage of time, we'll get to the point where those off years consist of only me and my hubby. That's not necessarily a bad thought, though. I've been thinking that it would be really sad to stay at home by ourselves, so maybe in the future, off years can consist of some really cool trips. Hawaii anyone?

In the meantime, there are some Boyd traditions that will never change no matter who comes and goes. And the most steadfast Boyd holiday tradition of all is--guys do the dishes.

So how was your Christmas?

4 comments:

  1. Mine was spent with a lot fo vĂ­deo calls to family. New toys scattered ALL OVER, and learning a lot of New things about cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first ‘off’ year for different reasons. We celebrated on Christmas Eve and had a wonderful time together. On Christmas Day it was just Doug (my lovely new husband) and I, so we got to enjoy each other’s company, walk the dogs, eat leftovers and watch movies together. There were texts and calls from the kids which was lovely. I will admit to some tears, but as Doug prayed over me everything felt better! Doug also reminded me that we did everything on the 24th that would normally be on the 25th so the 25th was just a date and nothing to be upset about.
    Goodness knows how I am going to cope when marriages and life scatter the kids far and wide.
    Living for the ‘on’ years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an off year for me as well. Seems like a trend? I went out to Washington to visit family. I left MI on Christmas Eve so I missed all of our traditions. I think that made me the most sad. But I’ve got to spend a lot of time with family I haven’t seen in years. Most of my cousins didn’t remember who I was because they’re so much younger than me and they mostly all live near each other. It’s been a fun few days with reeeaalllyy good food. So I’m choosing to be happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am up for Hawaii...off years ARE hard.

    ReplyDelete