Monday, December 24, 2018

The Sass is Strong!

Have you ever noticed when you wear something fancy or do your hair a certain way, you act a bit different? Maybe, it’s a boost of confidence because you know you are looking good?  Well I’m thinking my daughters have had a boost of whatever that is exactly.

Having four little girls, I knew that in the teenage years I might be dealing with some attitude and sass. What I didn’t realize is that it can start way earlier than when they are teenagers, say ages 2, 4, and 6. The sass has been quite strong lately.  

I’m starting to think I made a huge mistake when I let them watch Barbie. They started saying things like “Whatevs” and “Hi, I’m Barbie, What’s up?” One day it was getting a little out of hand. I told them we would no longer be watching Barbie because I could see a difference in how they were acting and it was giving them an attitude. We went to work in the church office the other day and Talia walked into my mother in law’s office to chat. Talia happily told her, “Barbie gives me attitude.” I’m glad she was listening to me, but I’m pretty sure there was sass when she told her Nana that.

I believe it was the very next day we were getting ready for our evening church service which happened to be our Christmas Cantata so we were all matching in red and black outfits. I had pulled one of my scarves out of my closet and Stella asked if she could wear one. I picked out one that would match her outfit and tied it for her. Talia came into my room and said that she wanted one too.  She decided that she wanted to wear an orange one. I told her she couldn’t because it wouldn’t match her outfit. She didn’t like my answer and whined saying it did match and she wanted to wear it. My husband was hearing all of this, so when I told her no, he agreed and told her it didn’t match and told her to obey. He said, “What are you, four? What do you know?” She replied, “ I know Jesus Christ the Lord.” She said it with much sass, but the conversation was over. She didn’t win the scarf battle but she won with that statement. 


Is the sass strong with you?









2 comments:

  1. Oh, it must be the age! I’m in the same boat with Tatum...sometimes it’s funny...but sometimes it’s totally not! But I get a lot of the ‘hand-on-the-forehead’ actions from her accompanied by “ugh, mom, that’s not what I said”, as if she is super aggravated by me. The war is on, that’s all I can say about it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How can you even argue with that??

    ReplyDelete