Friday, September 1, 2017

The Things Kids Put Me Through

Last week I started to post about taking these two to college, but then I got distracted talking about Paul's phone texting for help. So this week I'm going to post about two weeks ago when I took these two guys to college. By the way, I'm not sure why they were dressed like twins in this picture.

While loading up the vehicles after church, I noticed that one of them had removed his dress shirt and was wearing the dingiest, dirtiest t-shirt I'd ever seen. Apparently he had packed every other t-shirt and it was all he had left to wear.

The next day, after his shower, he was wearing the t-shirt again. He said the college dress code required him to wear a t-shirt under any and every shirt. I told him he could put a t-shirt on under his polo once he unpacked in his dorm room, but he wasn't going to wear that nasty shirt for a second day in a row. He tried spraying it with cologne *gag*, but that didn't work either.

While we waited for the elevator at the hotel we stayed in that night, the other one decided to suddenly informed the strangers also standing there waiting for the elevator that we had dibs on the first car and we didn't share. Thinking he was joking, we all laughed it off and I scolded him for rudeness. The next morning when we left, we found others waiting for the elevator. The same son suddenly decided he needed something from the room we'd just left. Turns out he wasn't kidding--he doesn't like to share elevators. I told him to take the stairs.

One of them called and/or texted me every day for the next week. The other one had to be reminded that he had a mother before I heard from him.

One of them accidentally clogged the toilet in their dorm room bathroom by trying to flush the paper towels he used to clean the bathroom. The other one brought extra hand sanitizer with him to college so that he had one in his room and an extra one in his backpack.

I made them each a batch of homemade cookies before they left home. One of them generously offered to share with their roommates--by handing out some of his brother's cookies.

We have an accountability program on all of our sons' phones, and the program sends an alert if they access something questionable or send or receive a text with in appropriate words in it. One of them laughed hysterically while the other one called me to let me know that his phone had auto-corrected a text to include an inappropriate word. He wanted me to know that I would probably get an alert, but that he hadn't actually meant to send that text.

And one of them that didn't go to college spent the first week that his brothers were gone working on videos to send them. The videos were hysterically funny, but apparently they didn't translate well to blogger. Sorry.

All in all it's been an interesting ten days since they've been gone.

I'm not sure any of us are going to make it through this whole semester.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting off my morning with some giggles! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always start my day wth giggles ... Or groans!

      Delete
  2. Don't worry they keep everything very interesting here at college!
    ~Anya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homeschoolers in the real world. We should name our reality show that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between that reality show and Nick's Ntv, we'd definitely cover a lot of media platforms, wouldn't we!

      Delete
  4. I would love to see those videos!😃😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother's cookie brownies tasted good.

    ReplyDelete