Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Tell me about it

Today, you are going to be doing most of the writing. It's Wednesday and most of us have a midweek service today, if not tomorrow. So let's get ourselves in the mindset for service tonight by answering a few questions. Pick one, a few, or all to answer in the comments. 

1. What is your favorite verse (or verses)
     - I have three. Philippians 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ which
                                                          strengtheneth me."
                             Psalm 56:3 "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."
                              Jeremiah 32:27 "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there 
                                                            any thing too hard for me?"

2. What is your favorite hymn?
    - How Great thou Art

3. What are you reading in your devotions? Are you doing a devotional book or study of some kind?
    - I'm reading through Isaiah at the moment, but I'm also doing a study on the
       Proverbs 31 woman. Dissecting that chapter a verse a day. 

4. Where do you sit at church and why? (example: back row, front and center, organ side, piano side)
      - We sit towards the back on the organ side. We started this when we had infants in
         the nursery in case I had to leave during the service and that just kind of became 
          our place. 

5. What was the last message you heard or that your pastor preached?
    - The last message I heard my pastor preach was a continuance on the study in Romans. (BTW, I  love it when our pastor does a series on one of the books of the Bible.)
 
6. How long does it take you to get out the door before church?
    - From the time we are ready to leave, it usually takes another 10 minutes of 
       corralling the kids towards the door, making sure we have diaper bags, 
        sippy cups, and Bibles, locking up the house, herding the kids to the van 
        (and not dirtying clothes in the dirt in the process), and buckling them in
         carseats before we can actually leave. 
Whoever came up with this phrase did not have kids. 

7.  Do you take notes?  If so, do you have a notebook or do you write in your Bible?
     - Taking notes helps me to stay focused. I usually bring a notebook with me, but if for
        some reason I don't have it, then I write in my Bible. 

8.  Are you a sermon snacker? Candy, gum, or other?
      - I am. I like to have some candy to chew on, but if I don't have any, gum works. 
My new favorite sermon snack!

9. This flu season, have you been shaking hands or avoiding it with a fist or an elbow bump? 
     - I just shake hands because I have kids and they'll most likely pick it up from 
        somewhere, and if they do, then it won't matter if I shook hands or not. 

10. Is there a message that you have heard that just sticks with you?
      - About a year ago, Bro. Jeff Fugate preached a message at our church about how 
         everyone occasionally deals with a hard heart, but the problem comes or the sin
         comes when we let it stay that way. 


You're welcome for not stopping at #9 to all you OCD people out there!

8 comments:

  1. 1. Those are some of my favorite verses too; 2. It changes sometimes, but I like “Saved by the Blood and Blessed Assurance; 3. I’m reading in First Kings; 4. I sit at the piano and then in the last pew of the first section, piano side; 5. Sunday nights our Pastor is preaching on the end times and he covered why we’re pre-tribulation; 6. It takes me about a minute because I only buckle myself; 7. Sometimes I take notes and sometimes not; 8. Icebreakers gum; 9. I play the piano during shake hands time, but I’ll shake after the service; 10. So many stick with me! Your dad’s sermon on the effects of sin, and Brother McCoy’s sermon on Death in the Pot are two I think of often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.2 Corinthians 12:9
    2.It is well
    3.I always read the proverb of the day and doing a devotion book on Judges.
    4.On Wednesday we sit in the back on the organ side ( usually behind y'all) because I work in a childrens ministry so I have to leave at shake hand song.
    5.Last message I heard was from the book of Judges about serving the Lord.
    6.I go to straight to church from work.
    7.I take notes in a notebook.
    8.If I am tired I am a sermon snacker. I like small candies not individually wrapped.
    9.I still shake hands
    10.lately the message that sticks with me is bro. Joe Author's message on "if a donkey can do it so can you. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that message by Bro. Arthur!

      Delete
    2. So did I. That was one that'll stick with Ya!

      Delete
    3. I don't think I will ever read that story the same way again.

      Delete
  3. 1. My life verse is 1 Peter 2:9 2.my favorite song is "the Value of One" 3.im reading in Ephesians and Philpians but I'm also comparing Psalms with proverbs 5. The last message I heard was from my dad who is doing a continuation of the series of revelation 7. I take notes in my Bible usually, but on occasion I'll bring a note book 8. If I still have some candy from working in junior church, I'll munch on that through the service 9. I don't care if it's flu season or not, I always use hand sanitizer after I'm done shaking hands (I'm a bit of a germaphobe😷) 10. Pastor Fugate preached a message at school about how the great commission was fulfilled during Paul's time and how it was possible for it to be fulfilled during our time (Romans 1:8) it was a great and challenging message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Favorite verse is Col. 3:2 "Set your AFFECTION on things above, not on things on the earth " 2.Favorite hymn is Victory in Jesus 3. I'm reading the Bible through in 9 months and working through a Bible study called "The Choice is Yours". 4. 3rd row right /organ side. convenient since I play the organ, and I hardly ever get to sit in the back row!! ha 5. Last message I heard was from Pastor Hal Roscoe. An OT picture of the death, burial, resurrection of Christ in Lev 4 - the law of the leper. Amen! 6. takes me 30 seconds (I don't even have to buckle! haha) 7. I always take notes. I have notes in notebooks and in my Bible, even dating back to the week I got saved in 1978! 8. Once in awhile I have a cinnamon hard tack candy, but otherwise no food in church! haha 9. Shake hands. unless pastor bans it like he did a few weeks ago haha. 10. Bro. Joe Arthurs message "Who's in Your Basket?" - do you pray for and take care of the person God has put in your "basket"?

    ReplyDelete