Friday, March 30, 2018

What was I sitting on?



Sometimes my husband drives me nuts with his love for buying and selling on eBay. I personally have a love/hate relationship with buying and selling. I love making the money but I hate taking the time to do the research on the items and posting them on eBay. However, sometimes there is that thrill of watching the price climb on something that you’ve taken the time to look into and post all on your own. 

Last summer, we saw a sign for a yard sale. Although we thought it was a lot closer than it was, one road led to another which led to another and after several minutes of driving and searching, we finally made it… only to find out they didn’t have much for sale. It didn’t take my husband long but he ended up with a box that had some old GI Joe accessories and GI Joe card backs (the cardboard packaging that had information about different action figures). He probably paid $5 for the whole box. Well, that box has been sitting in our spare bedroom for the entire year. 


As most of you know, I have been doing some de-cluttering. I have mentioned that I have been moving from room to room getting rid of things we don’t need. Every time I go to our spare bedroom, I see these silly little cards and wonder if my husband will even notice if these aren’t here? Last week, when I was working in that room I spotted them again and I just wanted to throw them away. Instead, I moved them again. 

I’m so glad I didn’t toss them. 

My husband was looking on eBay and one of those little cardboard cards that I wanted to toss showed up on his eBay. So he went back to the back room and started doing his research. I’m so glad they were still there when he went back for them or I may have been in trouble. I dodged that bullet. 

As he was doing his research he learned that those annoying awesome little cards were worth something. Depending on which card you have and it’s condition, they can be anywhere from $2-$15 each. He had about 60 of them. So, he listed the cardboard on eBay and started the auction at $75. By the time he was finished, it was pretty late. When he woke up the next morning, he had gotten 3 bids and the price was up to $86! (Who in the world is bidding on cardboard at 5 am?!?!) We still have 5 days to go and this is where my love for buying and selling comes in with the thrill of watching that price rise.

If you want, take a peak at the auction to see where it’s at now!

I wonder what else I have in my spare bedroom to sell? Actually, I already know I have enough. I do have a new baby to make room for.

So, what are you sitting on? Got any expensive cardboard?


4 comments:

  1. I’m amazed at what people value! I’m glad you’re finally getting rid of the cardboard and making some money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my brothers hadn't destroyed every toy they ever played with, mom would probably have some vintage gifts Joe's worth something. Matt has such a knack for buying random things that are worth more than you'd think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I saved ALL of my son's G.I. Joe's, along with those silly cards, his Lego's and almost every other toy he played with. I passed them on to his 3 son's and they LOVE them. Vintage, who knew, but they are not available in stores. Got the "clutter" out of my house...... ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Vectrex game system. Never hear of it? I’m not surprised. I was five (approximately) when it came out and it was prior to Atari! The cheapest one for sale on eBay is about $350. I’m gonna go ahead and hold onto it for a while. It’s also a pain to move around all the time but so far it’s worth it. Don’t get me wrong though, it’s no cardboard collection!

    ReplyDelete