Friday, April 13, 2018

My Travel Companion


Does anyone love traveling with their spouse?


I love traveling with my husband. The majority of our trips have been to visit my family in Illinois,but we have gone on others. We’ve sort of fallen into a routine when traveling as well. Typically we start out talking for the first forty-five minutes to an hour. Basically, we’re playing conversation catch up. It’s what we do when we actually have the time to have in depth conversations about anything and everything, maybe things we’ve forgotten to share with each other or things that have been on our mind that haven’t really been a priority to talk about. Sometimes we make lists and sometimes we joke with each other,. It could be any number of things, but I enjoy the adult conversation.

After the first hour or so, my husband is tired of talking to me (not really). He loves audio books so he’s ready to listen to the new audio book that he’s downloaded before we even leave for the trip. Pretty much we do our own thing. I try and watch a show and tend to the children which is much easier to do now that they have their own movie to watch.

Anyway, that’s usually the first half of our trip. We stop half way, eat, stretch, etc. Then we finish our journey.

There is one downside to traveling with my husband. I found out early on in our marriage that I would need to travel with extra coats and blankets. He gets warm really fast. So whether it is 70 degrees or 20 degrees outside, the air conditioner could be on in the vehicle.  I try to sneak and turn the a/c down but he catches me and puts it right back where he had it. There had to be a solution other than dressing like it’s negative weather outside. Right?

Yes! The answer to my problem was our van. It has many features that I love but one thing specifically that solves all of my traveling with my spouse problems is seat warmers. Now he can have the A/C on full blast if he wants to, as long as my seat warmer is on my whole body is warm. I only had to wait six and a half years to be comfortable when we travel…but, hey who’s keeping track?

So what about you? Do you love traveling with your spouse? Do you have any traveling routines?



5 comments:

  1. I never really thought about it, but traveling together is when we catch up on things we’ve had no time to talk about. After that, he’ll usually listen to sermons, and I’ll read for 2.3 minutes until I fall asleep. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  2. We travel to see family too. I feel like that is a great time to catch up on conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like us too. We talk for the first hourish and then do our own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, I guess, but that's how it is with Rick & I too, talk or a half hour to hour, then look at the scenery or catch up on FB. As for the temp in the vehicle, I like it cooler and Rick freezes. I don't turn the a/c on, I just don't turn the heat on often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is also my favorite travel companion. We share laughs, stories, bible discussions and enjoy each other’s company for pretty much the whole trip. There have been occasions when we’re both tired so we decide to turn on a sermon and listen peacefully but even those are followed up by an in depth conversation about what we learned from it. With four kids and a full time job, I don’t have many opportunities to just sit and talk uninterrupted with him, so I enjoy those moments!

    ReplyDelete