Wednesday, May 30, 2018

A Friendly Competition


Everyone loves a good competition, don’t they?

Our daughter has been telling us lately that it doesn’t matter if you win or lose as long as you’re having fun. That may be true for some, but for her daddy you aren’t a winner unless you win. No one wants a “participation trophy” do they? Yes, you should have fun while you are competing but it is more fun to win than to lose.

She likes to race her daddy. If he announces that he has to do something or go somewhere, she says, “ I’ll race you” and tries to beat him wherever he is going. It’s hilarious! However, she doesn’t like to lose but also doesn’t focus on losing because she is enjoying her little competition with her daddy.

Monday, we planned on going to my in-laws house for family time and a cook out. From the time the girls went to bed the night before to the moment they woke up, they were asking to go to Nana’s house! They were so excited to see there cousins. Well, yesterday morning my mother-in-law stopped by to drop something off to us and the girls had been playing with basically every toy they own. I told them to clean up or we weren’t able to go to Nana’s to play. Nana had told them to clean up really quickly because if we beat her to her house then Stella would get to hold her new baby cousin first (after papa, of course!) The girls immediately started cleaning because they wanted to win, most of everything was picked up before my mother-in-law even left our house. When Nana left she had to run to the store so the girls quickly ran to daddy and told him about the race they were having. Our original plan wasn’t to go over until the middle of the afternoon. When he found out about their race, of course he wanted to help Stella win because he has that competitive gene! He told us if we hurried and got all of our stuff together he would take us all to Nana’s before he went to the gym. We loaded up our stuff and off we went.

The whole way to the house Stella was asking if we were going to beat Nana, I thought we would because when I talked to my mother-in-law on the phone, she said she was in the check out line and would still be awhile. It wasn't until we were turning down her street and I saw her car in front of us, that I thought we had lost. Just as I thought she was about to turn into her driveway she stopped at her mailbox,  My husband pulled right next to her car, rolled down his window, called her a “la-hoo-sa-her” and pulled in the driveway for the WIN! She had to wait a short time for her cousins to get there, but I wold say it was worth the wait!


That to me looks like the face of a Winner!

Teaching Stella that winning is more fun than losing might be a good lesson, but teaching daddy not to rub it in the “loser's” face might be a better lesson!

So, are you a competitive person, or are you happy just having fun?



6 comments:

  1. If I’d been competing against my son instead of my granddaughter, I’d have won. ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to win! Can’t stand losing. Last week at a church gathering, myself, my husband, your husband and Don H, were playing euchre. It didn’t end well for my team and once the announcement of “game over” was made, I said “Good!” And slid all of the cards in front of me off the table. I ended it with laughing though, so that made it all ok...right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat competitive! Depends on the prize!! Great story Ky! So much reminds me of getting my kids to race and clean up for whatever reason or prize when they were little! Usually it was hurry and get done before Daddy gets home so we can surprise him! Great memories of days long gone! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls love cleaning up especially when it means they get to race!๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
    2. My girls love cleaning up especially when it means they get to race!๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  4. Good luck teaching that guy! �� I’m competitive by nature but have learned that it’s more fun to spoil the other competitors fun by not caring. Lol If I know I’m going to lose, I try to have fun and not take myself so seriously.

    ReplyDelete