Monday, May 21, 2018

"How did it get so late so soon?" - Dr. Seuss

   Where did today go? Where did this week go? Or this month? Or this year? Or the last 10?

  It's graduation time, and our church always gives an engraved Bible to the graduating seniors. As I was watching those high school seniors walk up to get their gift, I felt old. I remeber their kindergarten graduation. I remeber it because it was also my youngest brother's kindergarten graduation.

  The kindergarteners at our school always do a little skit/presentation and my youngest brother played a fox the year he graduated. It was so cute. He was also in nyquil because he was pretty sick that day. I remeber because it was hilarious to see him sitting, zoned out, until it was his turn to get up and do his part. He got up and performed like a champ and then went back to his seat and zoned right back on. Five year old's can be so cute. And then they grow up."Cute is for babies" as my daughter says. She doesn't like to be called cute because that's what you say to babies. Apparently, you can grow out of cute. Go figure.

  Anyways, the point of all of this. I remember being single and thinking life was dragging on soooo ooo slowly. Now, our 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up this week. Just over two years ago we started deputation with a 9 month old.... One 9 month old. Now we have a 3 year old, an almost 2 year old, and a 1 month old.
Some parts of deputation felt like they dragged on forever. Like the parts in the van. Those were very, very long. Yet, here we are with three months left till we leave for Brazil. Where did the past two years go?

  We're going to leave for Brazil in just three months. I'm sure some parts of our first term are going to seem like they are dragging on. Like language school. School never goes by quickly. But before we know it, that first term is going to be over and we'll be flying back here wondering where the past few years went.

  We have a lot going on in our lives, as most people do. I'm pretty sure that most of us, especially women, can say that we spend most our day just trying to survive and get through it. Now, I know that there will always be days like that, but I'm learning that I don't want every day to be like that. If you're always trying to just survive and get through, then you're missing everything along the way and you'll end up at your babies high-school graduation saying "how did it get so late so soon?" (Dr. Seuss)

7 comments:

  1. Dr. Seuss is my favorite poet. Congrats, Nick!πŸŽ“πŸ€ΈπŸ‘πŸ’₯🀯πŸ₯¨πŸ•

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Seems like yesterday I was dealing with a headstrong little girl. And now she’s heading off to Brazil with her own family. πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s funny you mention the “cute” thing. After Pastor mentioned last night that the Kindergarten class is so cute and the graduation is just cute, my Ashlyn looked at me and said, “I am not cute!” She is part of this year’s graduating K5 class...it feels like it can’t be because yesterday, I was still driving her to your class at the daycare!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God helped me this weekend by allowing the hours of my son’s graduation party to go by slowly. I prayed for that so that I could enjoy it and keep the memory. I didn’t want to find myself saying “I barely remember anything about it”, because this is one of my precious moments in his life. Life HAS gone by in a blink but God will slow down those special moments for us if we ask. Asking for energy should have been something I thought to ask for too though! Congratulations to our graduates, Nathan, Nick and Sarah!! So proud of all of you and your plans for the future! πŸ‘¨πŸ»‍πŸŽ“πŸ‘©πŸ»‍πŸŽ“

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Steph! So true ❤ cherish every second!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS Nick.......children, our own and now our grandkiddos, grow up way too fast. The clock never stops so we can get a breather, it just keeps on ticking away time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time does fly too fast. It seems just yesterday I graduated high school and that was 4 years ago now.

    ReplyDelete