Wednesday, October 24, 2018

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like --- Easter?

The fall season is a dangerous time for me. I love all the scents and sights of the season:  the bright colors of the trees, the cool breezes, the crunch of leaves underfoot, curling up under a blanket with a cup of coffee, the crackling fire in the fireplace ...

There are three places that I get into trouble during this season. Hobby Lobby, Bath and Bodyworks and the Cracker Barrel Store. I love looking at all the decorations, smelling the wonderful candles, air fresheners and hand soaps and seeing items that most people can turn into beautiful fall crafts. I have the ability of a third grader when it comes to crafts, but something about the fall season makes me think I can pull it off.

I can't.

Last year I tried making candles in my crockpot. And, yes, that is a melted crayon on the inside of the jar. Don't judge.

At any rate, I still love going into those three stores and seeing their decorations. Maybe snagging a few items with a buy three get three and a 20% off coupon. The trouble is, the season is so beautiful and fun, I could really get into financial trouble if I'm not careful.

At least, that's the way it was in the past. This year I'm not finding the kind of things that bless my ever-fall-loving little heart. I'm not seeing the little fall salt and pepper shakers (just ugly owl ones). There's not a lot of Autumn-scented candles. And few of the reds, golds, oranges and browns arranged in fall wreaths and pictures and even clothes.

Instead, I've spent most of October trying to see past the Christmas displays to find a few fall items on clearance. I don't want Christmas stuff yet (other than Christmas music). I'm still trying to get my fall garland all arranged.

Everyone always seems to complain about how the seasons come and go before you know it. If that's the case already, why are stores rushing it even more?

Seriously, are any of you doing Christmas shopping yet? And I'm not talking about presents. It's perfectly acceptable to be shopping for Christmas presents all year long -- as long as you can remember where you stashed your goodies when it comes time to wrap them.

No, I'm talking about Christmas decorations. Are you buying any yet? Doesn't it seem a little early? Some of these Christmas decorations and displays were out in September! What's up with that? At this rate, we'll need to be buying Valentine candy in November and Easter eggs in January. Patriotic displays should be up by April, and I guess the fall displays I'm looking for will be out in June, along with back-to-school supplies.

Tell the truth:  what season are you in now?

11 comments:

  1. If you are buying Christmas decorations right now, that's a problem. And if you're playing Christmas music already, you should be shunned

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas and am already planning where the tree will go in our little apartment. I have informed Doug that we will be putting the tree up the weekend of Thanksgiving! As for buying anything - not yet. I am avoiding stores as all the Halloween stuff drives me bonkers - just not a fan at all.
    As for presents - I’m over half way done but that is purely an economics thing and Christmas music can start as soon as November gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. A few weeks ago, like the end of September, I went to Walmart to look at lawn mowers, because ours is on it's last leg, and all I found was Christmas decorations. So not happy! I live in the south and we have just in the last two weeks got down into temperatures that feel like fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the season of denial... That Christmas, is only 8 weeks away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in Christmas season ever since the leaves started falling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would shun your own mother-in-law?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went shopping today ... Christmas music was already playing in the store. 😐

    ReplyDelete