Monday, February 18, 2019

A Scary-o Scenario


With a title like that, one might think I was talking about my hair back like in this picture but I'm not.

It all started when I was around the age of 7 or 8. My sister and I had a sleepover at my aunt's house. It was very exciting, until dinner time arrived. I had high hopes that it would be something delicious, because she is a great cook. She prepared for us a nice warm bowl of Spaghetti O's. I immediately thought to myself I must have done something wrong. My fun evening took a quick turn for the worst. I had never had spaghetti O's and after one look at that bowl, I wasn't about to start.

My family wasn't the type to make something different just because I didn't like it or because I simply refused to eat it. I either ate what was made or I went without until the next meal. Then I hoped that the next meal that was made would be better than the one before. Only this time it was not as I just described.

I sat there for a long time with my aunt and uncle trying to pursuade me to eat these scary round objects. After, about 2 hours of sitting there the meal (if you call it that) was cold. I chose not to eat my food so my aunt told me it was ok and she let me get up from the table, i understood I wouldn't get anything else that night but was happy just to get up from the table.

My parents came early to get us the next day and I was relieved that I was going to get some food I liked! However, my aunt sent the Spaghetti O's home with us! I was tramautized by the fact that this experience wasnt over and the nasty O's were going to follow me home. 

Thankfully, my mom did not make me eat them and to this day, I still haven't eaten spaghetti O's. 

Did you have to eat your dinner if you didn't like it or did you  get something different? Have of you had a bad experience with food?




7 comments:

  1. At my first ever day at school (a private, tiny school in London, England) I was given lunch in a bowl. It had a strange looking item I had never encountered..... I raised my hand and told the teacher “I don’t eat this!” To which she replied “here at school we eat everything on our plate!” I of course told her I was different and she told me sternly to eat up!
    Well, I was sure this could not be. So I decided (in my wisdom) to turn the bowl upside down and announce “I can’t eat this!”
    Apparently, that was not the right thing to do. I was hauled to the front of the class and caned! 😳😭
    The offending food was rutabaga... I spent the next several years hiding the disgusting item in my pocket, bag, mouth and getting rid of it later!!!!
    Funnily enough at about the age of 30 I discovered I like rutabaga when mashed with carrot, butter, pepper and horseradish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad when we were kids made us eat what he called Hominy Soup and it was pretty much just Hominy (which is just a solid grit ball) and water. The worst thing I've ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell on my mom! When she was little she would go home from school at lunch time to eat. If it was a sandwich, she would pull off the crust because apparently she detested the crust! She would put it under her plate or roll it up in her napkin to hide it. But it never failed she said, because when she would sit down to dinner it was always there for her to eat before she could have her dinner. Ugh! I still dont think she eats her crust today! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I would try to scatter my peas all over to make it look like I ate them.it didn't work. No matter how sneaky you think you might be, parents always find out!

      Delete