Monday, July 16, 2018

Coffee in My Corner

    I'm not really a morning person. I very much enjoy my sleep in the mornings. It used to be that I would sleep until one of the kids woke me up, and thus started the day. And I always felt like I was trying to catch up with the day as it flew by. Then by 9 every night, I was exhausted and I didn't always feel like I'd accomplished a whole lot even though I went non-stop all day.

  It wasn't until I was doing a devotional book, and one of the chapter was about how we always seem to be "too busy" in our lives. The point was that we are rushing about life and seem to have so much to do, but are those things we "have to do" the things that God wants us to be doing. 

  On those days that I rushed around trying to catch up with my day, I would try to squeeze in my devotions and time with the Lord, and sometimes it would stress me out all the things that I still had to do. Did I have time to sit down and read my Bible for a while? What wouldn't get done because I stopped to do that? I still needed to run to the grocery store, and make sure we don't get behind on laundry, and dishes, and take care of the kids, and help that friend that I said I'd help... etc.

  While all of those are good and important things, the top of God's "to do" list for me was to spend time with Him. So I had to make a change. Once I realized that, getting up early in the morning became a priority. When I get up and spend some quiet time with Him, It's amazing how different the day goes. I can be up and get my coffee and sit in my corner on the couch with God's Word. There's time to spend time with Him, pray, and even stare at a wall and collect my thoughts before the kids wake up!

   When I can greet them as they get up instead of them greeting me when I wake up it makes it a lot easier to be a nice, happy momma in the mornings. Don't judge me, because I'm sure if you woke up with a little face about an inch from yours yelling, "momma, I need muffins and strawberry milk!!!" you don't get up with the happiest attitude either.
It's a reality, people...

  Don't get me wrong, there are still those mornings, but I've learned that having that coffee in my corner with Him is an absolute necessity to survival! Should be a no-brainer, but sometimes we like to do things the hard way. So, do you have a "coffee corner" spot?

11 comments:

  1. Mine is also in the corner of the couch. And even though my kids are older, the best time is still early in the morning before anyone gets up. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with that, honestly. I typically can’t get to sleep until 11 or midnight (for many different reasons) and then I have to be up by 4:30 to get ready for work by 6am. I know this sounds backwards, but a good portion of my “alone time with God” happens at work! I pray, read the Bible, and do bible studies on my own. This is usually in those beginning hours of work. And although sometimes I get interrupted, it’s still a good time for me. I’m always interrupted whether at home or work, so I picked the lesser of the two with regard to that! I tried a few times on my weekends waking up early and those are the days I get interrupted the most! It’s like my moving around caused an earthquake and woke everyone up! What are the chances?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I kmow what you mean, I have to tiptoe around in the mornings to keep everyone asleep.

      Delete
  3. My mom had this rocking chair that was her “coffee corner” for years. All growing up when I would go into her room in the mornings she’d be sitting in it reading her bible and praying. Many prayers were prayed in it, many tears were cried in it, many hours were spent sitting in it while she studied the Word. A few years ago she passed it down to me and it has become just as special to me and it is now my “coffee corner” each morning and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My “coffee corner” is in the corner of my living room in my chair with a blanket. Even if it 90 degrees out today, I always have my blanket (I just turn up the AC for a bit). Sometimes I use our “sanctuary” sunroom. It’s so peaceful and relaxing out there. The perfect place to leave all cares at the door and seek the Lord intensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a blanket too! It just makes everything better. Haha

      Delete
  5. Well, this was a partial answer to prayer! For a while now, I’ve been trying to reorganize my life to be a better Christian. I’ve been asking Him what things are my priority because I’m always busy. I work a very flexible, but very demanding, job. The Lord has made it so that I can work this job from home. I still have to have a nanny at the house for the kids because working said job is very difficult with having to be mommy too; however, I’m still able to see my kids throughout the day. After last night’s message, I still know things are just out of whack. During family devotion time last night, I asked Him to tell me what needs to go because I am just too busy. My job, while flexible, has to get done. It can get done during the normal working hours of the day, or it can get done at midnight...it just has to get done. The housework and the cooking and the grocery shopping and the kids’ appointments all have to get done and my time with the Lord has to get done (and yes, unfortunately, personal devotion time often feels like one of my “to do” items instead of a pleasure). Anyway, I said all that to say that after my prayer last night, this blog post feels like part of my answer. Thank you very, very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this is why I feel so tremendously blessed with those whom God has given my sons. To have a wife who has a heart for God is an answer to a parent's prayers. We are so proud of ya'll that God is number one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My coffee corner is my dad's chair in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy as it sounds, my "coffee corner" is on my bathroom floor. It's seriously the best room to have a light on without waking anyone (the best time to do them is when everyone is still asleep!). Some of my best devotional readings have been on that floor. So thankful!

    ReplyDelete