Friday, July 27, 2018

What Lights Your Fire?

We just spent the week at the National Sword of the Lord Conference in Walkertown, North Carolina, and what a week it was! I look forward to the conference every year, but as it gets closer, I wonder at the wisdom of planning a trip literally on the heels of our Vacation Bible School. Each year, though, I walk away from the conference with my heart so full, I'm "drinking from the saucer 'cause my cup is overflowing". 


We spent time with friends.


And made new friends. (Hi, Leah!)


We chatted and fellowshipped.


And spent some very welcome time with people who are family.

All of that is wonderful and worth going for, but then there was the music during the services. Some of it made this pastor's wife want to shout and wave her hands. (Don't worry. I settled for a small hand wave from my lap and a quiet amen.)

And the best part of all was the preaching. Each year it seems that the sermons (we heard ten in the three days we were there) build on each other and stir our hearts to further service. This year Evangelist Justin Cooper preached from Acts 27 about the shipwreck Paul endured and how he helped gather sticks for the fire once they were on an island. He challenged us with the fact that it's not the church's job to keep our fires lit. 

It's our job.

It's my job.

Brother Cooper pointed out that, instead of coming in and hoping the church has something for you, it's your job to keep your fires lit. He suggested that there are a few "sticks" he puts on his fire to keep it burning before going to a church service.

1. I'm saved. Thinking about the fact that I am going to heaven should keep my fire burning. The great God of the universe sent His only Son to die for my sins because He loved me. 

2. There is someone else out there that needs to be saved. 

3. With what God's done for me, what can I do to worship Him and show my love for Him?

Those are some of the sticks that I'm going to use to keep my fire burning. There is so much wrong in the world and so much work left to do for the cause of Christ, that sometimes we drag into the service. I'm going to be working at making sure I head into every service with my fire already burning brightly. 

What about you? What sticks can you use to keep your fire burning?




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the conference was a great encouragement, I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throwing sticks on your fire...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...Nick and Aunt Jan!:) Great conference! Good preaching and great fellowship! So enjoyed seeing and spending time with y'all!

    ReplyDelete