Friday, August 31, 2018

Family Night

We had a family night last night where we all sat around and chatted. Here's a few pictures, interspersed between facts that I have recently discovered:


1. Forrest Mars and Bruce Murrie invented M&Ms. The two Ms stand for their last names.

2. Only female mosquitos bite. The males go for flower nectar instead.

3. Wayne Allwine, the voice actor for Mickey Mouse, and Russi Taylor, the voice actress for Minnie Mouse, wed in 1991.

4. Elephants can’t jump. They’re simply too heavy.

5. The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language.

6. Bug spray doesn’t repel mosquitoes; it masks your body odor with a new scent that female mosquitoes dislike. Contrary to what you might be thinking, it’s not Axe Body Spray. That only repels female humans.

7. In a process called triboluminescence, Wint-O-Green Lifesavers give off little sparks when they are eaten in the dark.

8. China owns every panda in the world.

9. When flipped upside-down, sharks enter a state of tonic immobility, rendering them unable to move for 15 minutes.

10. If you leave a jellyfish in the sun for too long, it will evaporate.

11. For over a month in 1988, temperatures in NYC exceeded 90 degrees every day, increasing the murder rate by 75%.

12. George Washington was a redhead. So was Lucille Ball, but you already knew that.

13. Nolan Bushnell, the founder of Atari, also founded Chuck E. Cheese.


During our family night, we all sat around chatting, playing on our phones and listening to Joel play the piano. Joel is currently at college, but he called and we made him a part of our family evening too.


This little girl wasn't there for family night last night, but I got this picture last night and it was so stinkin' cute, I had to share.

So did you know any of these random facts?

6 comments:

  1. I only knew the one you said we already knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a couple but referring to #11 there is a saying in the emergency room world - Sun's out, gun's out...... apparently too much fun makes you do crazy things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that George washiWashi was a red head! He has white hair on all of the dollar bills! I refuse to believe that his hair was red!🧐

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the one about mosquitoes. Females are just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the Lucille Ball thing and the Bug Spray thing. The reference to Lucille Ball got me to thinking about when I worked with her extended family member (great niece or something like that) in San Jose, CA. Then that reminded me that I also worked with an extended family member of Gene Autry (his great granddaughter or something) in Sunnyvale, CA. This then reminded me that I also worked with the brother of the guitar player in a popular rock band. So, there’s my list of useless info for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
    Ok, I cheated. I didn’t know that before I looked it up. And I also didn’t know any of those random facts you listed. In fact, I barely know any commons facts!

    ReplyDelete